Ep. 26 - The Future of eSports with Rob Lee
In this installment of the Future Grind podcast host Ryan O’Shea sits down with Rob Lee, the CEO & owner of the Pittsburgh Knights. The Knights participate in the growing world of eSports, where competitors battle in virtual environments with very real stakes. These may be video games, but according to some metrics, eSports leagues already have audience numbers that surpass those of some major sports, and it’s popularity continues to grow. Investors and sponsors are clamoring to get in on the action, but this new industry is not without it’s share of controversy. They discuss making a living in virtual worlds, the impact of IP laws, the future of entertainment, virtual reality, & more. If you’d like to support this podcast with a donation or find out more about sponsorship opportunities, you can visit the Support page.
Note: Some of the links in this post are affiliate links. This means if you click on the link and purchase the item, your purchase will help to financially support the efforts of this podcast!
Follow the Knights on Twitter, Instagram, and Facebook. #KnightLife
We're posting in two forms, an audio podcast and a video podcast. Please subscribe to our YouTube channel, DTube channel, and iTunes feed as we have some exclusive content that is not posted on both channels. You can also find us on Facebook.
- What are eSports? [1:41]
- The Pittsburgh Knights [2:38]
- More popular than traditional sports? [3:30]
- Global eSports popularity [4:53]
- Why Pittsburgh? [8:54]
- The purpose of eSports teams [10:41]
- Specialization and transient games [14:08]
- eSports leagues and tournaments [16:38]
- The next big games [19:42]
- Streaming, sponsorships, & eyeballs [21:33]
- The impact of IP & copyright [23:50]
- Rob’s story [27:11]
- Unions in professional gaming [30:21]
- The career of a professional gamer [33:10]
- Ninja, Twitch, and growth [35:36]
- Link with Entrepreneurship [38:12]
- Virtual worlds becoming real [40:46]
- Immersive VR and the future [44:13]
- What’s next for eSports and the Knights? [46:11]
- Where to find more [47:00]
Super Smash Bros. Melee
League of Legends
Ninja (Duals with Drake)
South Fayette Township School District
Carnegie Mellon Swartz Center for Entrepreneurship
Ready Player One
Please like, comment, rate, and share this podcast to spread the word. Ryan O'Shea is on Instagram, Twitter, and Facebook, and we'd love to hear what you thought and what you want to see going forward.
If you have any questions or are interested in supporting or advertising with Future Grind, you can reach us at email@example.com.