Ep. 14 - Gene Editing and Nanorobotics with Justin Atkin of The Thought Emporium
In this episode of the Future Grind podcast, host Ryan O’Shea speaks with Justin Atkin of The Thought Emporium. The Thought Emporium is a popular YouTube channel that shares videos exploring scientific concepts and cutting edge research on everything from nanotechnology to genetics and chemistry to biohacking. Justin also helps to operate Scihouse, the community science lab currently based in Jacksonville. He’s an entrepreneur and scientist with active projects involving nanorobotics, genetic engineering, and more.
Find Justin on Instagram here.
We're posting in two forms, an audio podcast and a video podcast. Please subscribe to both our YouTube channel and iTunes feed as we have some exclusive content that is not posted on both channels. You can also find us on Facebook.
- What Justin Does [1:21]
- What is The Thought Emporium? [2:44]
- Supercapacitors, genetic engineering, & the desire to eat pizza [3:28]
- Radio Telescopes, Planck’s Constant, & Kombucha Leather [4:53]
- A replacement for magnet implants [6:14]
- A possible treatment for lactose intolerance [10:39]
- Solving incurable diseases & bringing a product to market [12:45]
- The importance of open source [14:19]
- Patents & the Fireflies project [16:4]
- Scihouse [18:58]
- How Justin discovered science & technology [23:23]
- Molten sulfur, high explosives, & the risk of blowing yourself up [27:56]
- Biohacking & technological augmentation [30:35]
- YouTube channels to watch [31:38]
Justin’s YouTube Recommendations
- Kurzgesagt – In a Nutshell
Ryan’s YouTube Recommendations
- G3AR - 'GreekGadgetGuru'
- Shots of Awe
Please like, comment, rate, and share this podcast to spread the word. Ryan O'Shea is on Instagram, Twitter, and Facebook, and we'd love to hear what you thought and what you want to see going forward.
If you have any questions or are interested in supporting or advertising with Future Grind, you can reach us at firstname.lastname@example.org.