Ep. 22 - The Science of Life Extension with Oliver Medvedik
In this installment of the Future Grind podcast, host Ryan O’Shea speaks with Oliver Medvedik, co-founder of both the Genspace citizen science laboratory in Brooklyn and the Life Extension Advocacy Foundation, a non-profit that seeks to promote the advancement of biomedical technologies to increase healthy human lifespan. Oliver is a molecular biologist with a Ph.D. at Harvard Medical School, and in addition to his work on life extension, Oliver is the Director of the Biomedical Engineering Center at The Cooper Union.
Once again we remind you that the thoughts of the guests on this podcast do not necessarily reflect the views of Future Grind or Ryan O'Shea. You should consult with trained experts before moving forward with anything mentioned in this episode.
We're posting in two forms, an audio podcast and a video podcast. Please subscribe to our YouTube channel, DTube channel, and iTunes feed as we have some exclusive content that is not posted on both channels. You can also find us on Facebook.
- How Oliver got into life extension science [1:32]
- The story behind LEAF & lifespan.io [4:37]
- Why life extension? [10:27]
- Results from lifespan.io funded research [15:22]
- Kurzgeszagt videos & outreach [19:40]
- The Genspace Story [21:01]
- DNA privacy concerns [22:55]
- What is Biohacking? [27:27]
- (Perceived) Risks of DIYbio labs [28:19]
- The FDA & aging as a disease [34:11]
- Lifestyle changes Oliver has made [39:22]
- The promise of CRISPR [46:22]
- Technological vs Biological Augmentation [51:10]
- Senolytics & the future of longevity science [53:11]
Dr. David Sinclair, Harvard Medical School
SENS Research Foundation
Aubrey de Grey
Kevin Kelly, The Underpopulation Bomb
- Why Age? Should We End Aging Forever?
- How to Cure Aging – During Your Lifetime?
Heather Dewey-Hagborg - Stranger Visions
Ellen Jorgensen - TED talk
Dr. Nir Barzilai, TAME Trial
Nicotinamide Mononucleotide (NMN) - Amazon link
MitoQ Antioxidant Supplement - Amazon link
Turmeric Anti-Inflammatory - Amazon link
Please like, comment, rate, and share this podcast to spread the word. Ryan O'Shea is on Instagram, Twitter, and Facebook, and we'd love to hear what you thought and what you want to see going forward.
If you have any questions or are interested in supporting or advertising with Future Grind, you can reach us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Disclosure: Some of the links in this post are affiliate links. This means if you click on the link and purchase the item, your purchase will help to financially support the efforts of this podcast.